"I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. One will say, 'I belong to the Lord'; another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand, 'The Lord's' and will take the name Israel." -- Isaiah 44:3-5

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

School prep

I think my favorite part about teaching is the planning.  I love to get ready, to figure out how all the pieces should fit, to make schedules and charts, get organized.  This year, since we'll only be here for the first semester, my planning was more complicated and confusing -- and pretty overwhelming.  I'm so thankful to live in an area where there are so many different classes and electives and clubs and activities offered.... but my decision-making-impairedness is very challenged by it all!  Slowly, I've made some progress, though, and was happy to at least finally get a few charts and new systems put in place!

Here are the things I'm most pleased with:
 This is my chart mapping out every half-hour of each day, and what each member of the family should be doing during that time.  I know that we are likely to actually do these things only about 10% of the time, but at least it's something to shoot for!
 The kids' bulletin board has their schedules and their chart identifying their responsibilites for each day.
 I don't have a label-maker, but I pretend like I do!  (I just cut these out of a full-sheet label paper).  Now, theoretically, the books should be put back in the same place every day, reducing the amount of time spent answering the "Where is my math book?" daily question.  I know this will only work for the first few weeks -- or until the labels are peeled off, whichever comes first.
 And speaking of label-peeling...  I was so proud of myself to dig out this hand-me-down shelf unit and label all the slots to cut down on the paper confusion around here.
 But -- and this is not an exaggeration -- within mere MINUTES of me setting it up, someone had already come by and done this!  What is with my kids and their need to constantly peel things off of other things??
Anyway, I'm still excited about the promise of this new school year.  And I'm mostly excited about the fact that we have an in-home, electric pencil sharpener, which is now going on 15 hours of working life -- I'm pretty sure that's a record for us.  What a luxury to have all kinds of sharpened pencils at the ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment