"I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. One will say, 'I belong to the Lord'; another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand, 'The Lord's' and will take the name Israel." -- Isaiah 44:3-5

Monday, October 11, 2010

Letter Fun Days

When Strider turned 3, I knew I had to do something with this child! (A homeschooling-veteran friend of mine once said that they only year she is tempted to put a child in school is when they are THREE.) Something about the high-energy level, the inquisitiveness, and the desire for constant engagement is enough to put a mom over the edge sometimes.

Philosophically I believed that he was not ready for the regular routine of school, but I wanted just a little bit of structure -- for both of us. I decided to organize one day a week that would have a theme, giving us plenty of fun and activities therein. And the easiest themes were.... the letters of the alphabet.

So I created Letter Fun Days, which was a 26-page/day "curriculum" that I could use easily. Over the next couple of years, we ended up inviting my niece Ellie to join us sometimes, and occasionally we pulled in baby Rayna for the fun, too.

(Here they're making cards for the Grandparents on Letter G Day. Note they're also wearing Green)

Each Letter Fun Day has suggestions for:

Things to wear
Verse to memorize
Spanish word
Foods to eat
Crafts
Activities (inside and outside)
Songs to sing
Poem to memorize

And they all start with the Letter of the Day!

Plus, I made stickers, too, so first thing in the morning, we could put those on to get us all in the festive mood. :)

Now, I'm happy to be able to pull the ol' kit out again and use with the next round of preschoolers (and friends). Colsen has had a little friend from the neighborhood come over a few times, and along with her older sister, and Rayna (and sometimes Miles), we have a fun little group.

Here was Letter T Day several years ago (wearing Ties):
And here was Letter T Day this year (more tie-wearing by the next generation)

and Turtle-making:
It's been just the right amount of structure for us! The kids always love "preschool." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment