"I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. One will say, 'I belong to the Lord'; another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand, 'The Lord's' and will take the name Israel." -- Isaiah 44:3-5

Monday, November 29, 2010

Teaching the "atypical learner"

My daughter thinks very differently from the way I do, which has been a stretching experience for me as a teacher!  I mean that in a good way, too;  teaching has been very frustrating and hard at times, but I can also see how my character, and teaching abilities, are growing in the process.  Her "special needs" are good for both of us.  (I just need to remind myself of that over and over sometimes!)

This example made me laugh the other day.  We've been working on sequencing (for years now), since it is so crucial for both reading and comprehension.  Her brain clearly does not think in a linear way at this point, and it doesn't seem to bother her at all.  For instance, I told her to put these cards in the correct order, and then tell me the resulting story.  This is how she arranged the cards:

Here is what she said:  "First they put the water in the tank.  Then they put in the fish.  Then the fish are all gone.  And then they put the lid on the tank."

And there was no sense of "Gee, that's weird" to accompany this story!  She definitely lives in a crazy, but fun, world!  I definitely have my sequencing-lesson-plan work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment